Blantyre-based Nyasa Big Bullets and Be Forward Wanderers are set to benefit from president Peter Mutharika’s elections campaign promises following the allocation of K1.6 for each of their stadia.
Mutharika promised to construct the two stadiums for the teams and just last week he had an audience with the team’s representatives at Sanjika Palace in Blantyre where he retaliated at those doubting the move.
The move received negative reactions from different people in the country including academicians and the Human Rights Defenders Coalition (HRDC) saying government does not need to construct stadiums for privately-run teams.
However, the two teams can at least afford a smile after the Minister of Finance, Economic Planning and Development, Joseph Mwanamvekha announced in Parliament during the presentation of the 2019/2020 budget on Monday about the K1.6 billion.
Netball Association of Malawi (NAM) also has its longtime desire to have a state-of-the-art indoor netball complex given a nod as K200 million has been allocated for the cause.
"This will enable Malawi to host international netball games in an indoor arena," said Mwanamvekha.
NAM also had an audience with the Minister of Youth, Sports and Culture, Francis Phiso about two weeks ago, during his familiarization tour where they told him on the need to have the indoor court.
The stalled Mzuzu Youth Centre has been allocated K500 million, with same amount allocated for the rehabilitation of Kamuzu Institute for Sports in Lilongwe.
Mwanamvekha said government is still looking for funds for the construction of the new stadium in Blantyre.