Former ACB Director Matemba granted bail following arrest

Former ACB Director Reyneck Matemba at the court

The Lilongwe Magistrates court has given bail to former Anti-Corruption bureau (ACB) Director Reyneck Matemba following his arrest earlier on Friday 5th August.

The former ACB boss was questioned on suspicion for receiving advantage from UK-based businessman Zuneth Sattar while discharging his duties as Solicitor General and Principal Secretary in the Ministry of Justice.

He was arrested alongside John Suzi-Banda former Chairperson of the Public Procurement and Disposal of Assets Authority (PPDA) also in relation to their dealings with one of Sattar’s companies Xaviar Limited.

The arrests were communicated through a press release from the graft busting body signed by its Principal public relations officer Egritta Ndala.

“The arrest is in relation to the vetting of the said contract of procurement, contract reference number MPS/SB/16/04/2021, to supply 350,000 food ration packs worth USD,875,000.00.

“The investigations conducted by the Bureau established that Mr. Reyneck Matemba corruptly received USD10, 000 as an advantage for the vetting process of the food rations contract. Mr. John Suzi Banda received K3, 000, 000, 00 from Mr. Zuneth Sattar’s agent Zun Cheena to influence Mr. John Suzi Banda to grant a no objection for the Malawi Police Service to award the contract to Xaviar Limited”.

suzi
Suzi-Banda: Granted a no objection for the Malawi Police Service to award the contract to Xaviar Limited

Peter Sambani ACB’s senior legal and prosecutions officer explained that as stipulated by the Corrupt practices Act (CPA) under section42, for the bureau to prosecute, it needs consent from the Director of public prosecutions.

He said for this reason, the accused person cannot be charged but rather be brought to court where he will be notified on the reasons for his arrest within 48 hours.

In the meantime, Matemba has not been charged yet but rather brought to court to be told the reason for his arrest.

The ACB further indicated its former boss is likely to be charged with one count of corrupt use of official powers centrally to Section 25 (1) of the Corrupt Practices Act while Suzi-Banda will face charges with one count of obtaining an advantage centrally to Section 24 (1) of the Corrupt Practices Act and another count of failure to declare interest contrally to Section 25D (2) (a) of the Act.

Some of the conditions include a bail bond of K500, 000 cash, two traceable sureties bonded at K2 million and surrender his travel documents.

He has also been ordered to appear at his former office once every fortnight.